Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Spiral Slayers...how it happened...

Hello,                                          [I doubt that anyone is reading this...if I'm wrong let me know.]

My first novel--actually a four book series of which I've finished book one and am working on book two--came about in a strange way. In fact, I'll start with how I became a sci-fi fan.

I was medevaced  home from Vietnam in 1972. After getting out of the hospital I did the easiest thing, I moved back in with my parents. The first night I was there I saw Star Trek for the first time and became a sci-fi fan.

I can vividly remember the first time I came up with a sci-fi story idea. It was 1978, I was married and had a three year old daughter and a new born son and we'd had our first house. I was in the garage stoned and I came up with a fantastic story idea called Net World. It really was way ahead of its time.

Over the years I've come up with exactly one dozen story ideas and I hope to be able to tell all of them.

The primary idea for 'The Spiral Slayers' came to me in 1992. This was a monumental year for me. My title was Systems Programmer and I had just finished a six month project to completely redo GE Retail Systems' computer room. I did this in a single weekend and got a special award and a new title for my efforts. Newly promoted to System Administrator my first job was to visit each department head and compose an estimate of the total HW/SW expenses for 1993. This effort would lead to yet another title--Manager of Internal Systems.

 I was lying in the sun next to the pool in the buildings Fitness Center day dreaming and bingo! Can't tell you what I came up with without ruining the story but I can tell you that it was both at the quantum and cosmic level.

It evolved for over ten years before I started writing the book.

In my next blog I'll explain how it became a quadrilogy.

Rusty

No comments:

Post a Comment